Audience Award for »The Banshees of Inisherin«
During a buzzing award ceremony, the Stockholm International Film Festival's jury recently presented this year's winners in various categories. Now it's the audience's turn. Every year, the Stockholm Film Festival lets the audience choose the winner of one of the most important prizes awarded during the festival – the Audience Award.
The audience has been able to vote physically and digitally for their favorites among this year's 130 films during the festival, which ran between November 9-20, 2022. Now it is clear that »In Bruges« and »Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri« director Martin McDonagh's latest film »The Banshees of Inisherin« was this year's big crowd favorite.
Collin Farrell gives the role of his life here and was praised for his performance in Venice, where Martin McDonagh also picked up the screenplay award. Armed with liberating black humor and rapping dialogue in sing-song Irish, the director combines his grip on both life and Irish heritage in a film that manages to be both beautiful and poignant while also being unabashedly entertaining.
Listed below are the ten most popular films at this year's festival, as voted by the festival-goers themselves:
- »The Banshees of Inisherin« av Martin McDonagh
- »To Leslie« av Michael Morris
- »Boy from Heaven« av Tarik Saleh
- »Empire of Light« av Sir Sam Mendes
- »Holy Spider« av Ali Abbasi
- »Eternal Spring« av Jason Loftus
- »Decision to Leave« av Park Chan-wook
- »Beautiful Beings« av Guðmundur Arnar Guðmundsson
- »Bones and All« av Luca Guadagnino
- »I Love My Dad« av James Morosini
»The Banshees of Inisherin« will be released in theaters on January 27, 2023